Morbid Obesity has been proclaimed by WHO as ‘the epidemic of the 21st Century’. Obesity is a common problem involving an interaction between Biological, Behavioural and Environmental factors. Weight management for an obese individual is a complex issue that requires various levels of education, behavioural modifications, medical/surgical intervention. Bariatric surgery is the fastest growing super-speciality in Laproscopic surgery for the treatment of Morbid Obesity:
• Laparoscopic Gastric Banding
• Laparoscopic Sleeve Gactrectomy &
• Laparoscopic Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass.
We have already performed good number of cases including the recent one where a surgery was performed on 240kg young boy and it was first time that such a heavy person underwent Bariatric surgery in Mumbai.
Gist of services of Department
Otoneurology department was started in 1985 By Dr K P Morwani and was later joined by
Dr. M. Shaan and Dr. N. Jayashankar.
O.P.D. is equipped with special Audiological Investigations including audiometry impedence
audiometry, caloric test and brain stem auditory evokepotential.
Dr K P Morwani has on of the largest series in India for:
Some of the procedures conducted include:
• Middle ear and Inner ear surgery for giddiness & Deafness.
• Facial nerve decompression and reconstructive surgery.
• Surgeries for CP angle tumors ( Acoustic Neuroma, Meningioma, etc)
• Sac decompression , selective vestibular nerve section and trans lab 8th nerve section for menniers disease.
• Micro-vascular decompression of 5th to 8th cranial nerve for intractable vertigo, trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm (along with Neurosurgery department).
• CP angle tumors - Dr. Morwani has pioneered this technique of transmastoid and trans lab removal of CP angle tumors in India.
In U. S. maximum surgeries of CP angle tumors are done by this approach; but in India only our centre is using this approach sucessfully for last 2 decades. This approach has an advantage of
• better preservation of facial nerve function.
• decrease chances of lower cranial nerve paresis.
• minimum hospitalization with decreased duration of stay in ICU.
The Otoneurology Department along with the Neuro-surgery Department is geared to perform surgery for pituitary and transnasal surgeries for pathology of clivus and of C1 and C2 cervical spine area.
The Department is equipped with 3 operating microscopes with video camera attachment and the facility for DVD recording.
Most pregnancies end in the birth of a child who is normal healthy and with, a good quality of life. However, about 3% of pregnancies result in the birth of children with abnormalities.It is the constant endeavour of those in the medical profession who are charged with the responsibility of caring for pregnant women, to look for clues, which might suggest that the foetus might be at risk for a serious medical disorder
About 20 years ago even if such a suspicion was raised doctors could do very little to prove or disprove their doubts. They therfore had very little evidence to advise the parents in a meaningful way.
In a short span of twenty years technology has transformed this scene.Today with advances in molecular biology ultrasonography and safe techniques for obtaining material from a pregnancy, many conditions including genetic diseases can be identified in early pregnancy.This gives the parents an opportunity to make an informed choice regarding the future health of their offspring.Since the majority of the pregnancies end in the birth of normal children one cannot subject every pregnancy to such invasive studies. Therfore a number of screening techniques are offered to pregnant women to try and identify those who will benefit the most from detailed studies.
Consultation by appointments :
Call : 26118000 or 26182255 Ext 518